The Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP) provides support and assistance to UNM faculty, department administrators, and support staff at both UNM Main and Branch campus to ensure successful project completion and compliance throughout the sponsored projects lifecycle and includes services such as proposal review and submission, contract negotiation, and award review and processing. To effectively achieve these goals, OSP is divided into 3 teams: Proposals, Contracts, and Awards:
Proposal Team Point-of-Contact: Antoinette Sabedra (firstname.lastname@example.org / 277-2341)
The Office of Sponsored Projects’ (OSP) Proposal Team provides final review and submission of all proposal materials submitted for external funding. The Proposal Team offers either a Comprehensive or an Essential Component review on an appointment-basis for all proposal materials submitted by OSP on behalf of the UNM research community.
All proposals are reviewed in accordance with the Proposal Review Matrix to ensure compliance with OSP, UNM, State, Federal and other applicable policies and regulations. After all collaborative revisions and questions have been addressed, the reviewed and approved proposal will be submitted to the sponsor by an assigned Proposal Specialist.
The Proposal Team offers many services including, but not limited to:
- Interpretation of sponsor guidelines, policies, and other requirements contained in a Request for Proposal (RFP).
- Assist in ensuring that all proposals are submitted in compliance with sponsor guidelines, policies, and RFPs.
- Assist in ensuring that all submitted proposal materials are compliant with applicable federal, state, local, and UNM laws, policies, and regulations.
- Work collaboratively with PI, sponsors, and department administrative staff to address any questions, concerns, and clarifications, as necessary.
- Serve as an Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR) on behalf of the Regents of the University of New Mexico for all proposal submissions.
- Work with PIs and departmental administrative staff to schedule and conduct OSP Review and Submission appointments.
Awards Team Point-of-Contact: Antoinette Sabedra (email@example.com / 277-2341)
Outgoing Subawards Point-of-Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Office of Sponsored Projects’ (OSP) Award Team reviews all new award notices, amendments, and modifications from a wide range of sponsors, supporting research activity across the UNM research community.
The Award Team offers many services including, but not limited to:
- Processing new awards.
- Processing modifications for existing awards.
- Requesting no-cost extension(s) (NCE), budget revisions, PI changes, and award transfers.
- Ensure that terms and conditions of an award comply with applicable regulations and policies.
- Ensure faculty and staff are updated on the latest developments in the award set up process.
- Coordinate with other internal core offices (e.g. Export Control, FCOI, IRB, IACUC, STC, and/or other compliance offices).
- Coordinate with Contract & Grant Accounting (CGA) to ensure timely award set up.
- Provide institutional certifications and/or assurances when required.
- Facilitate signature and finalization of awards.
- Serve as liaison between PI/departments and the sponsor to resolve award-related concerns and issues.
- Offer consultations with faculty and staff to explain UNM requirements relative to their award.
Contracts Team Point-of-Contact: Melissa Sanchez (OSPcontracts@unm.edu / 277-4186)
The Office of Sponsored Projects’ (OSP) Contracts Team offers contractual support to faculty, staff, and other stakeholders engaged in external sponsored activities at UNM by reviewing, negotiating, and finalizing contracts and subcontracts between UNM and federal and/or state agencies, industry partners, foundations, and other sources.
The Contracts Team offers many services including, but not limited to:
- Interpretation and timely negotiation of terms and conditions (T&Cs) contained in contract and subcontract documents.
- Assistance in ensuring that T&Cs comply with applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations, sponsor guidelines, and UNM policies.
- Ensure faculty and staff are updated as to the latest developments in negotiations.
- Coordinate with internal core offices (e.g. Export Control, Information Technology, Office of University Counsel, UNM Rainforest Innovations, and/or other compliance offices).
- Provide institutional certifications and/or assurances.
- Facilitate signature and finalization of contracts.
- Serve as liaison between UNM and the sponsor to resolve contract-related concerns and issues.
- Offer consultations with faculty and staff to explain UNM requirements relative to sponsored funding.
The following is a list of most common types of contracts that OSP manages:
- Sponsored Research Agreements
- Corporate Research Agreement/Industry-funded agreements
- Master Agreements
- Incoming Subcontracts
- Inter/Intra-governmental Agreements
- Professional Services Agreements
- STTR/SBIR Agreements
- Unfunded Agreements: NDAs, MTAs, AORs, License agreements, Data Sharing/Use Agreements, etc.